It’s not easy to improve a classic like peanut butter cookies, but we think we’ve done it. How?
- These cookies have less sugar, allowing the peanut butter to be the star, not the sugar. With less sugar and more peanut butter, these cookies are more nutritious than most.
- Since the peanut butter flavor is front and center, we recommend using an all-natural one, with no additives. Be aware that natural peanut butter separates (the oil rises to the top) after it has been stored awhile, which is why we like to buy freshly ground peanut butter whenever possible. If the oil separates, use a knife and stir until it is well blended.
- We’ve also added a touch of allspice, which gives our cookies a unique but subtle flavor. Cinnamon is also nice.
- We sometimes stir in ground flaxseeds for an added nutritional boost.
- You can make these even if you don’t own an electric mixer, making this recipe a great option for college students!
- Follow the directions, and there will be very few dishes to clean up afterward!
- For a special occasion, add a chocolate kiss on top. See Variation.